Saturday, April 17, 2010

Too Funny

We made a quick run to the store the other night. Sam insisted on looking at the toys before we left. He found something that he REALLY wanted to get and asked us to buy him. We said no, but told him he could come back and buy it with his own money. He threw a little fit because he didn't want any other little boys to come and get it before him. Brandon took Sam to return it to the toy section, while I took Jackson to load the groceries in the car. This is the conversation that followed on the way home:

Mom: When we get home it is time for bed.
Sam: What about a one minute thing?
(One minute thing: Something FUN that Sam and usually Dad do before bed.)
Dad: Our one minute thing tonight was looking at toys at the store.
Sam: That isn't a one minute thing.
Mom: What classifies as an one minute thing?
Sam: It has to be something fun.
Mom: Didn't you have fun looking at toys?
Sam: No.
Mom: Well, if you don't have fun looking at toys, then we don't have to do it again.
Sam: But I like looking at toys.
Mom: But you just said you didn't have fun. If it isn't fun, we don't have to do it anymore.
Sam: You want to know what isn't fun?
Mom: What?
Sam: It isn't very fun when a kid asks and the parent doesn't buy the toy the kid really wants.
Mom and Dad: [uncontrollable laughter]

After explaining the difference between doing chores (which are part of being part of a family) and doing extra jobs to earn some money, we repeated that he could come back and buy the toy.

Sam: I hope that it is still there.
Dad: We wrote an "S" on the back of the box, so we would know it was his.
Sam: Yeah, but you didn't write, "This is Sam's. Don't buy it." What if someone else thinks the "S" is for them?
Mom: What if another Sam thinks it was for him? (I know I am terrible.)

5 comments:

Mike & Bekah +4 said...

He cracks me up!!! Sometimes he seems too smart for a almost 5 year old...He has an old little soul!

Heidi said...

That is hilarious!! And I agree with Becka. He is way smart for his age! :)

nicwoo said...

Love it! He is sooo right. (I'll have to ask you sometime how you like to divvy chores and what earns money.)

Lori said...

I love this story. It looks like Sam has been up to a lot of fun. It looks like you have found plenty of fun activities for him to participate in. Way to go mom!!!

The Thompsons said...

hahahaha!!! I love sam! He and Addy would get along great!!! You and Brandon are AWESOME parents btw!