Every year Sam has a check up with Dr. Sussman at the Shriner's Hospital in Portland, Oregon for his club feet. We had originally planned on making a weekend of it, but had to cut our trip short due to a tight deadline for work. Sorry Forreys! So instead of the weekend camping and hanging out with college buddies, we made the six hour round trip journey with a two hour rest stop at the hospital.Over the last year Brandon and I have seen a significant change in Sam's feet. After we stopped using the Dennis Brown boots his feet were pretty straight. Now a year later, they are very noticibly turned in. Sam has a tendency to trip over his feet and fall down a lot. I know all kids trip and fall, but I watch Sam trip over his own feet. We were hoping that the doctors would do something to help correct it before it becomes a serious problem and not just one that slows him down.
Diagnosis: Sam will have surgery again. This time the four hour surgery will loosen the tendons in his heels and across the top of both feet and loosen the joints in his heels. He will be in two full leg casts for 6 weeks. Sam will get to cruise around in a wheelchair unless we get a jogger before then. We don't know the date of the surgery yet. But it will most likely be sometime after the new year. We will find out about 6 weeks prior to the day of surgery. We have also been put on a short list (not determined by our height) in case there are any cancellations prior to our scheduled surgery date.
To double the duty of the trip we were able to ride down with my parents and sisters, so my dad could pick up his new riding lawn mower in Portland. Gotta love craigslist! And we all love the new John Deere.
5 comments:
We love Dormans! So sorry to hear about a surgery. Sam is a trooper :) I like the pic under the hospital sign, "Sam Jackson;" I know you'll be well taken care of! oh, and maybe you should get Sam a riding lawn mower instead of a wheelchair. He might really like that. Just a thought! :D Both look like John Deere Men-
Emily my thoughts are with your family for the surgery! I had that surgery done as a child and it has lasted me this far! :D Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help!
-Ivy
Good luck with the surgery. I totally didn't notice the "Sam Jackson" thing 'til I read the comments. Ha. Clever.
you just had to cut me out of that picture, didn't you?
good. i looked disgusting.
oh no, i'm sorry to hear about sam's surgery. the things these little kids go through, you know? we hope everything goes well! keep us updated please. :)
Post a Comment